6.24.2009

First Ultrasound

We went in for our first ultrasound on Monday at 11 am. It didn't take very long which was nice and we found out a lot of good information. When the sonographer started doing the measurements she told us that the baby wasn't as far along as we thought it was. This news came with some mixed feelings. For me (Craig), I was excited that we are able to go in for a second ultrasound in 6 weeks so they can get some good measurements on our baby's heart and brain. For Jacquelinne, however, she was a bit disappointed because they pushed back the due date by 2 2 1/2 weeks (from November 5th to November 23rd) and she feels like she's going to be pregnant forever. We're both excited to be having a Thanksgiving baby!

Although our baby was smaller than we anticipated, everything seems to be healthy and normal. The placenta was in a good position, the hear rate was 143 beats per minute, and although Jacquelinne hasn't felt much kicking yet, we saw the cute little feet, legs, arms, hands, ribs, and spine. The sonographer kept saying "look at that cute little baby!" We couldn't agree more. :) The best part of the ultrasound for us was finding out the gender. I had learned from reading some online articles that if it's a boy we would see one distinct line and/or "stub" which would mean "boy." However, three lines between the legs would mean "girl." As the sonographer was probing around for different positions, I saw three lines and said, "it's a girl!!" She didn't acknowledge my comment and continued to do more measurements. Then when it was time to reveal the gender, she turned to me and said, "I think you're right." It was such a tender moment to finally know that we'll be blessed with a little BABY GIRL!!! Jacquelinne was teary-eyed and there was a special spirit in the room as we held hands and saw the first images of our beautiful baby.

Jacquelinne goes in for a regular follow-up appointment in two weeks and we get to go back on August 3rd for the second ultrasound. We're very excited and feel blessed to have this awesome power to procreate and bring this precious spirit into this world.

Here are the pictures we got to take home with us.

Obviously a Girl!!




6 comments:

Shelly said...

how exciting! what a cute baby girl! I'm sorry I gave you so much crap about it being a boy. You win! I loose. I'm very happy for you two! She's beautiful!

Ashleigh and Todd said...

I know I commented on facebook but I'm sooooooo excited!!!!!! I can't wait to hold her...I might cry, haha. Well I'm glad I'm also still psychic, maybe now people will believe me! Love you three, hehe!

Parrish Family said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! little girls are so fun! And don't worry about the time. You will need that time to get all ready for her!

The Flakes said...

I am so excited for you guys! Congrats! A little baby girl will be so much fun!!! Keep us posted on how everything goes!!!

Debbie said...

Yea! We're excited for you both, and looking forward to shopping in the "girls" department again. It's so fun to see Craig so involved! :)

Laura Edwards said...

Yay!! Little baby Altom!