6.03.2009

trying to fit a square peg into a round hole



When we moved into our new apartment we thought that we could use a day bed that Jacquelinne used when she was in college for our
sofa in our front room. That ended
up being a good idea until we set up the day bed and tried watching a movie. It was so uncomfortable and we needed a solution.

I spent last week finding what I thought were suitable candidates for our new couch on craigslist and ksl. I would then send the links to Jacquelinne for approval and she would politely tell me that she didn't like them and we needed to keep looking. Last night as I was getting in my car to go home after work, I got a call from Jacquelinne and she told me she found a couch that she absolutely loves! I'm not very picky so when I got home, I looked at it, liked it, and we called the sellers to let them know we wanted to buy it and went to look at it right away. When we got there, I gave it a good eyeball and measured it to make sure it would fit in our house and it seemed that it would so we bought it.

We don't have a truck so we called around and a friend knew a friend with a truck who was willing to help us so we picked it up at 10:30 last night. When we got back we took off the legs and got it down the stairs. When we reached the bottom my biggest fears were realized. When we first moved in, we had a hard time getting our box spring in and I was somewhat worried about the couch but figured with some pushing and prodding, we could negotiate the corner and get the couch in. I was wrong! We got within about an inch of getting it through but we didn't want to break the couch. We ended up giving up at 12:45 am and I woke up frustrated with the analogy of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole running through my head all morning.

I called my brother Brian this morning and we're going to send him some pictures of the ceiling where it's getting jammed and see if there's any way we can make an arch which will help us get things in and out. For now we're keeping the couch at the top of the stairs in the entry way with just enough room to open our door to get in and out. We'll use day bed for a little while longer and hopefully we can get this fixed soon because we really like the couch. It's deep and very comfortable. Just what we were looking for. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Ashleigh and Todd said...

haha thats awesome! I want to come to your house to see the couch, haha thats funny!!! We will probably be having that problem soon though. So the colors clash just a little but not to bad

Craig Altom said...

Tell me how to fix the colors that clash!!!! PLEASE!