10.16.2009

Hospital visit and other goings about this week

This week started off with a trip to the hospital on Sunday. I woke up Sunday morning with the worst back ache of my life and I was leaking fluid. Craig and I were up at his parents' and we went back and forth for at least a half an hour debating whether or not I should call my doctor. Craig finally called the doctor for me.

The doctor told me that I needed to go into the hospital asap. I kept asking him if I could wait until later that night when we got home, but he insisted that we go up to Mckay-Dee in Ogden. I have to admit, the entire way up to the hospital I had butterflies in my stomach. Going into the hospital is a little unnerving when you don't know what the outcome will be. Craig made me even more nervous when he started saying things like, "We don't have our car seat or an outfit for the baby."

Getting tested for fluid was not the most pleasant experience, as well as waiting for the results of the tests for over an hour. So we just sat in the room and watched Wheel of Fortune and I watched our baby's heart rate and my contractions on the monitor. Who would have thought I was having contractions at 34 weeks--I had no idea.

Todd texted Craig while we were in the hospital and told him that we should induce. We got a good laugh out of that. A maintenance worker from my work called, also, and Craig answered and told him that we were in the hospital. He was alarmed and called another girl that I work with and, within an hour, I had two of my coworkers calling asking me if I was alright. I really appreciated the support from everyone--and Todd, if we could have induced, we would have. :)

The results ended up coming back negative. Craig and I were both thrilled and went on our way. I told Craig that it was a good experience, overall, because now we have a small taste of what to expect when we have our baby. That was a good practice round.


----


I started a three week prenatal course on Thursday. Craig thinks he's getting off real easy because he's in school during the classes. I joked with him Thursday morning that he wasn't going to know what the heck was going on during labor, so he had me promise him that I would take detailed notes during the class. *If anyone would like to have an outline of how to differentiate between true and false labor signs and the three stages of labor let Craig know. :)

5 comments:

Kirsten Krason said...

I was having contractions at 34 weeks even though I a had no idea. The doctor had to point them out to me. You are so close and I am so excited for both of you. That seems like it was good practice for the real thing.

Parrish Family said...

I am glad everything was okay. I had my first baby at 36 weeks and my second at 37 weeks. And even though the last few weeks of pregnancy are SUPER uncomfortable it is worth keeping that baby inside as long as possible. The stresses of having a preemie is NOT worth it! Hope you make it a few more weeks!

Oh, I would love to see Craigs outline on the differences of false and true labor! :)

Shelly said...

I'm glad everything is okay. Craig, next time you're on your way to the hospital and you don't have a carseat or an outfit for the baby, DON'T say anything. That doesn't make a mom feel any better.

Monica said...

Yikes! We know what it's like to have false alarms! 3 times to the hospital before the real thing...at least you weren't bleeding! Definitely not fun! Glad you're keeping that bun in the oven! Hope everything goes smoothly the rest of the way!

Billy & Alesa Beard said...

Yikes!! that's scary! Definitely glad you're doing ok. Can't wait to see her though! Hope everything goes well! :) Its the coolest thing ever!